Note: This video contains the old look of Brightspace. The functionality of the Locker tool remains the same.
Use the Locker tool to upload and store files in Learning Environment. Locker enables you to upload files from your PC, or to create new HTML files.
Files in your personal locker are kept private, though your institution might provide the option for you to make files public.
Group locker areas allow you to collaborate on files with others.
Your personal locker area is not course-specific. You can access the locker from anywhere in Learning Environment and store all of your files together.
Access the Locker tool
Click Locker on the navbar.
You can also access the Locker tool from the Classlist or Groups tool.
Group lockers are restricted locker areas where members of a group can share files. Any group member can modify files posted in group locker areas.
Group lockers have the same options as regular lockers with the following exceptions:
- The option to make locker files public in not available.
- There is an option to Email Group Members.
- There is a Modified By column that shows the last person to work on a file.
Access group lockers
Click the Locker link on your course navigation bar, then click Group Lockers.
Note You can only access a group locker from the course offering it applies to.
Access other users’ public locker files
- Click Classlist on the navbar in the appropriate course.
- Click View shared locker files from the context menu of the user whose shared locker files you want to view.
- Click the file name you want to open, or search for specify a file type in theFiles of Type drop-down list.
Creating files and folders and uploading to your locker
Create a folder
- From the My Locker page, click New Folder.
- Type a Folder Name.
- Click Save.
To create a sub-folder for an existing folder, click New Folder when you're in the parent folder.
Create a file
- On the My Locker page, click New File.
- Enter a File Name.
- In the Folder section, click Choose Destination to change or add the folder destination.
- Select the Make this file public to others check box if you want other users to be able to view the file.
- Enter a Description.
- In the Edit Contents field, enter the content you want to go in the file.
- Click Create.
Note The option to make files public might not be available if your institution has not enabled it.
Upload a file to your locker
- On the My Locker page, click Upload Files.
- Select the Make uploaded file(s) public to others check box if you want to allow other users to view the file.
- Enter a Description of the file.
- Click Choose Destination to select the file path location for your file.
- Click Browse and locate the file you want to attach.
- If you want to attach more than one file, click Add Another File.
- Click Upload.
Restricted file formats
For security reasons you cannot upload applications or programs to your locker. For example, files with the extension types: .asp, .bat, .config, .dll, or .exe cannot be uploaded.
Managing files and folders and downloading from your locker
Search for files in your locker
- On the My Locker page, enter your search criteria in the Search For field.
- If you want to conduct an advanced search, click Show Search Options.
- Click Search.
Download files from your locker
- Select the check boxes beside the files you want to download.
- Click Download at the top of the file list.
- Save a copy of the zip file to your local computer or storage device.
Edit a file's name, description, or status
- Click Edit from the context menu of the file you want to edit.
- Make your changes.
- Click Save.
Edit multiple files' description
- Select the check boxes beside the files you want to edit.
- Click Edit at the top of the file list.
- Update the Description for files as needed.
- Select or clear the Public check box to change whether files are public or private.
- Click Save.
Edit a folder's name
- Click Edit from the context menu beside the folder you want to edit.
- Update the Folder Name.
- Click Save.
Move a file or folder
- Click Move from the context menu of the file or folder you want to move.
- Click the name of the target folder.
- Click Move.
Delete a file or folder
Do one of the following:
- Click Delete from the context menu of the file or folder you want to delete.
- Select the check boxes beside the files or folders you want to delete and click Delete at the top of the file list.
Important Deleting a folder also deletes all of the files within it.